Project 2 Handicap

Online log of a quest to drop my golf handicap from a nine to a two within sixty months. Sink or swim, I'll give it my best shot. Advice is not only appreciated, it's encouraged!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

So what's the big deal?

If you're a non golfer you're probably thinking that going from a 9 to a 2 handicap shouldn't be much trouble. Just practice, right?

Hardly.

Dropping seven strokes from a nine to a two is going to be a very tough goal to accomplish.

You may not think so but we nine handicappers are already fairly accomplished golfers. We know the basics of the game, including swing mechanics, strategy, shotmaking and equipment. In short, we've already picked the low hanging fruit.

How good is a nine handicapper? Well, according to the USGA's men's golf index, a nine handicap male golfer is in the top quintile of male golfers. So, if there are 49 other randomly selected golfers in a room with me there are ten or so who can kick my butt more often than not. But I'm going to dominate the other forty (on average, of course).

Now, how good do I have to get at this game to be a two handicapper? Two handicappers are in the top two percentiles, so given the same fifty randomly selected golfers chances are that I'm going to be the best golfer in the room!

So here's one way to look at this quest of mine. In order to become a two handicap golfer I'm going to have to figure out how to beat those ten out of every fifty guys who rule me today.

I'm gonna keep it real here.

I don't really like my chances.

3 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger p2h said...

The handicap represents the golfer's skill level. The higher the number the less skilled the player. It's used to allow players of different skill levels to compete on a somewhat equal level. The higher handicapped player gets "strokes" in line with his handicap and so can shoot a higher score than his more skilled competitor and still win the match. (Kinda stupid, huh?)

There's a complex mathematical formula that's used to calculate the handicap.

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck!
We'll have to go to the driving range Friday nights instead of watching TV.
The margaritas might not help though. Or maybe they'll help you relax and take your mind off the mechanics of it all.
Interesting experiment, anyhow. :)

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger p2h said...

Experience has proven that my game improves up to 3.5 beers. One of those Texas Jumbo's is probably still within the limit, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home