Project 2 Handicap

Online log of a quest to drop my golf handicap from a nine to a two within sixty months. Sink or swim, I'll give it my best shot. Advice is not only appreciated, it's encouraged!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Time for a Plan

So, how am I going to do this?

Well. Okay. I need to learn how to control my emotions - especially anger. That's doable, so I'm not worried about that. I'll just focus on playing the shot at hand instead of reliving the last shot. (Yea sure, we'll just see how easy that turns out to be!)

But clearly, what I really need to do is focus on getting in shape, and on shot making.

I know how to get in shape. I've done it before. When I was in my 30's I started a running and weight lifting program. My motivation was a report from the doc that my cholesterol and triglycerides were way too high and that I was going to need to be put on medications. So I went on a health kick. Lost a bunch of weight and got fairly buff and surprised the doc when I showed back up thin and with more than acceptable lipid levels. I still remember the shocked look on his face and his words; "whatever you're doing, keep doing it!"

So I can do that - and I will. In fact I've already started.

But the shot making - I'm gonna need some help with that.

Oh I have some shots, but I need to improve in several areas before I can reasonably expect to improve my handicap to low single digits. Specifically, my greatest weakness at the moment is clearly with my fairway woods and long irons.

Yea, give me a short course where I can hit driver and wedge and I'll shoot in the 70's more often than not. But when I have to use my long irons or woods on most holes I'm doing well to scrape it up somewhere near the green. If my short game is on I might be able to shoot in the low 80's, but if not - hello 90's.

So that needs to change. But how?

I'm thinking lessons... which I've avoided my entire golfing life. I just love self-learning. Not only does the stuff that I learn on my own sink in more deeply than if somebody spoon feeds me, but I get such a thrill when that light goes off and I realize that I taught myself something!

Another reason I've avoided lessons is that, on the few occasions when I've explored starting them, I keep running into the guy who wants to start me fresh from scratch. "Just sign up for this 8 lesson package, dude. Now, let's start with the grip...".

Please! I need to find a pro who can pick up from where I am. I ain't no rank beginner and I ain't got the time to waste!

So, for the lessons I'm thinking about going the immersion route. Maybe explore a golf school where I can focus on nothing but the game for a couple of full days running and know that - at least by the end of the final day - the pro may get to the a point where I can learn something from him... or her (let's not be sexist here, Annika wannabe.)

The other area I surely need to improve is the short game. Mine isn't terrible, but if there's any low hanging fruit still within reach this is it.

Sand shots, for example. I can escape the sand, no problem... but up and down? Not likely.

My putting is pretty good, but there's room for improvement with chips and pitches. I do know how to hit the Michelson flop shot though (I'm proud of that!) and I use it frequently. It's saved me many strokes.

So, time to pull out Dave Pelz and get to work.

Oh man, what have I got myself into here?

2 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What you observe, that's what improves."

Your little Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that glows in your pocket like a wizard's crystal, if you had some kind of app running on it that would record your results on long-iron shots, what info would you record?

I'm thinking, estimated effective (wind-elevation-lie adjusted) distance of the shot, club used, distance long-or-short, distance left-or-right...water left-right-across-none (fear factor)...

I'm also wondering how you could get more practice at such shots. Play longer courses? How about this, on a 400-yard par 4, instead of knee-jerking a driver then 6I or whatever, pull a 200 yard long iron for the tee shot, now you practice two long iron shots on the hole, rather than none.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger p2h said...

Fear factor - yes. The lack of wear on my 3 iron is indicative of how little I use the club. I'll almost always pull a 7 wood instead.

Unless it's a tee shot I won't even try a long iron over water.

Heck I don't even like to hit 'em on the range. I hit 'em so poorly they destroy my confidence.

Not a bad idea - to look for opportunities to use them. It only stands to reason that improvement will only come with practice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home