Project 2 Handicap

Online log of a quest to drop my golf handicap from a nine to a two within sixty months. Sink or swim, I'll give it my best shot. Advice is not only appreciated, it's encouraged!

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Scoring vs Shotmaking

May 2006 USGA Handicap Index: 9.9 (up 1.0 from April)

The object of the game of golf is to shoot a low score.

But what draws me to the game more than the chance to go low is the thrill of hitting perfect golf shots.

Of course, hitting great golf shots usually leads to a low score, but sometimes you can scrape it around the course yet still shoot a respectable score. That's what I did today.

I would normally be thrilled shooting a 4 over par 76, but my ball striking today was, at best, mixed. After the round I charted my shots, rating each on a scale of 1 (awful) to 5 (excellent).

On my non putts, I had nearly as many poor to awful shots (fourteen 1's and 2's) as I did good to great shots (fifeteen 4's and 5's). But my putter was hot, and that's the primary reason that I was able to shoot a low score today.

Usually, after hitting as many terrible shots as I did today my confidence would suffer, but most of my bad shots today were with a new (used) set of Mizuno MX-23 irons that I bought yesterday. I know that I need to give myself time to adjust to the new clubs. So I'll hold off on the panic for now.

I feel just like I would if I ate a large piece of my favorite cake while on a diet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home