Project 2 Handicap

Online log of a quest to drop my golf handicap from a nine to a two within sixty months. Sink or swim, I'll give it my best shot. Advice is not only appreciated, it's encouraged!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Woods

Metals to be precise.

I've concluded that I'll never reach my goal until I learn to hit 3-wood off the deck. Either that or I need to learn how to bomb the driver so that I can reach par 5's with my long irons or 7 wood.

Played a fairly good round today, a 9 over 81. The 3-wood cost me at least three of those strokes.

On 4, a par 5, I went for the green in two after a solid drive. I flared the 3-wood into a horrid lie in the bunker right of the green. Five strokes later I stumbled out of there with double bogey. (I had been even par to that point.)

On 9, another par 5, after another solid drive I duck hooked the 3-wood into a tough position short and left of the green which left me with an impossible shot to a pin tucked just behind a bunker from my position. I scrambled for par but should have had a good chance at a birdie there.

Then, on 17, the final par 5, I heeled the 3 wood into water left. Fortunately (or not) the ball skipped across the water coming to rest on a grassy upslope - another impossible shot that resulted in another bogey on the hole.

Three par fives, three solid drives, three lousy 3-woods and three lost strokes. Conservative play on these holes would have likely given me three pars. Solid 3-woods on these three holes would have given me decent chances at birdies on each hole.

Shot of the day - 215 yard 7-wood drawn over water at 18. Can't help wondering how I might've scored had I hit 7-wood instead of 3-wood on those three par 5's.

I commit to at least one practice session this week devoted entirely to woods.

3 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger p2h said...

You're right Bryan.

Weird thing is... I do usually play that way. Normally I would have only gone for the 3 wood on the ninth hole and would have laid up on the other two.

Your comment caused me to reflect on why I DID try to go for it on the other two holes and my only excuse is that my golf mind has been in this mode recently where I'm trying out new on course strategies in the hope that I'll find some flaw in my thinking that will save me a stroke or two.

Okay, that's a lie. Keeping it real, I was actually shooting for glory.

Upon reflection, in this particular case 3 wood wouldn't have been a smart play on those two holes even if I DID have the shot in the bag.

So you're exactly right. They were stupid decisions.

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home