Project 2 Handicap

Online log of a quest to drop my golf handicap from a nine to a two within sixty months. Sink or swim, I'll give it my best shot. Advice is not only appreciated, it's encouraged!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Losing "it", and getting "it" back

Another trip to the range tonight to prove to myself that my swing, so trustworty two weeks ago, has indeed return.

It hadn't.

For the first bucket I was beside myself, trying every change I could think of to get my swing back. My shots were weak or fat - just ridiculously shitty.

Finally, halfway into the second bucket I came across the problem. My sway was back.

So I concentrated on the weight shift on the backswing - especially keeping my weight on the inside of the heel of my right foot.

Voila. Suddenly I was able to push off the back foot again and really go after the ball. My shots turned crisp and long.

I'm back!

3 Comments:

At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I have taken a long layoff from golf, I always find upon my return that my swing, and my shots, are very much like they were when I first played the game. It's as if you have ROM for your inherent swing, and RAM for your improved swing.

If you're ever playing really badly, if your swing problems seem really complex, maybe a good layoff (like 2 weeks, maybe 3) is in order. Like a cold boot, you clear out ALL the ideas and rituals you must constantly refresh and tweak in order to control the ball.

It occurs to me that my swing at any particular moment is composed of a lot of different ideas which have been applied IN SEQUENCE, and even if it is the same set of ideas, the order in which they have been applied will affect the degree to which they are employed, and in the net outcome. If I'm right, then a really solid remediation might involve a particlar set of fundamentals to be applied, in sequence, to rebuild the swing. My main criteria for an ideal swing would be simplicity and adjustability, which would seem to demand working first on the most basic...wait wait...I'm fixing to say "grip and stance", but I guess everything falls into one of those categories..

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it time to revisit your June 11 post, "Graphing Progress"?

It's interesting to me that there are plateaux on your goal plot. If I were to create such a graph for myself, there would have to be regressions. Also, the improvements would come almost suddenly...let me see if I can draw one like I'm talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/g3mjh

 
At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a copy of "The Secret" on thesecret.tv and watch it a few times using their method to improve your game.

Amazon is pairing a book called "The RAVE diet and lifestyle" with "The China Study". It contains a DVD called "Eating" which will reinforce your commitment (and others) to being vegan. donaldsheldon@vmdirect.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home