Project 2 Handicap

Online log of a quest to drop my golf handicap from a nine to a two within sixty months. Sink or swim, I'll give it my best shot. Advice is not only appreciated, it's encouraged!

Monday, June 05, 2006

Adjusting to Change

June 2006 USGA Handicap Index: 9.2 (down .7 from May)

Shot a solid 77 at Signature yesterday, albeit on a day after heavy rains. To compensate for the wetness, they moved the tees forward, but the pin placements may have been set purposely tough to even the score.

The swing change that I've been working on finally made it's way to the course. That is, I developed enough trust in it to use it on the course.

During the round I kept to two setup thoughts and two swing thoughts.

Setup thoughts:
  • Make sure the back foot is pointing directly parallel to the target line, not outward, so as to help keep the weight on the inside of that foot on the backswing, and
  • Remember to put the clubhead in a flatter position on the backswing, so as to encourage a more in to out swing, with speed.
I found this second thought to be difficult since the flatter position that I'm looking for still doesn't feel natural. So before each swing I would take several practice swings, searching for the right feel, and when I found it I would just step into the actual swing.

Swing thoughts:
  • Keep the weight on the inside of the back foot on the backswing, and
  • Swing with authority, allowing the left arm to control the club.
Starting with the 4th hole, I found a groove with my driver. By the time we reached the back nine I was confident and completely in control with that club or the three wood off the tee.

I also hit the irons with some confidence, but still found it difficult to trust my swing and release on a few shots - which resulted in a few blocks to the right.

Most exciting, I made solid contact on all three fairway wood shots. While two of the three shots were well off line, the solid contact is what I've been looking for.

All in all, an encouraging ball striking round!

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home