Project 2 Handicap

Online log of a quest to drop my golf handicap from a nine to a two within sixty months. Sink or swim, I'll give it my best shot. Advice is not only appreciated, it's encouraged!

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Deja Vu All Over Again

Prior to starting this online blog I kept notes on my golf game in a journal. Tonight I pulled my journal off the shelf and opened it to the first page.

11/9/97 Some pre-swing setup thoughts that seem to be working:
  • Keeping the right foot perpendicular to the line, and kicking the right knee in just a bit helps me get the weight on the inside of the right foot on the backswing. Keeping the weight there, instead of on the outside of the foot, allows for an easier weight transfer back to the left side on the downswing, and helps me push off from the right foot for added power.
  • At the three quarter point of the backswing and downswing the end of the club grip should be pointing down at the ball. On the downswing I think about hitting the ball with the end of the grip. This is in line with Hogan's admonition not to break the "pane of glass" extending from the ball past the shoulders.
Amazing. This is exactly what I've been working on in the past few weeks.

This just confirms what Roger and I were discussing the other day. The golf swing requires constant maintenance. When we fall into bad habits we need to go back to basics to get our swings back on track.

1 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>> "The golf swing requires constant maintenance. When we fall into bad habits we need to go back to basics to get our swings back on track."

>> "...1997, same thoughts..."

One begins to suspect that writing these journals can be very beneficial, esPECially if you also READ them from time to time! ;)

Playing golf is, after all, not at all like riding a bike. That's why we are always so intent, at the first tee, on hearing how many times our co-competitors have played this week.

Anything we can do to identify the key points, and refresh them frequently, has to help. Your setup theme from '97 that has just recurred, that should be on a top 10 list you consult before each round.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home